Thursday, April 14, 2011

Januray 14th

Today we were incorperating a peice of forum into our T.I.E performance. But first, we discussed the moral boundries of theater. When does a subjedct go too far? Are we not allowed to show certain, more sensitive subjects on stage? Obviously, at our age such things are for defeniate, but for an older audiance I believe it is possible to break the boundries down on stage. Used correctly, the shock can enhance a performance and provoke thought. Used incorrectly, you'll get low reviews and the theater will empty befor the show ends.
We then made a conscience alley for the peice, giving the dilema of a teenage boy taking dance and the thoughts for and against are the replies he expects from family and friends.
Then we got around to the actual forum  theater part of it, making a basic script for a scene where the boys dad finds out about his dancing. Here's the basics:
Dad bangs door open.
Dad: What is this I hear about dance?  What are you? A girl or a poof?!
Son: I’m not a girl dad, and I’m not gay!  I just like dance.
Dad: Well I don’t like you dancing; you’re gonna be a builder, just like your old man.
Son: It’s my life and I’ll do as I please.  You don’t choose my future, I do.
We treid a female version of this where Frankie played a daughter wanting to do football, and Abi as the disaproving mother. There wasn't enough time to finish rehersing this, so it was me and Olly who had to perform. Abi was appointed the Joker, the one who goes between the actors and audiance to pull people into the forum theater. There was abit of messing about and laughing when they took over a role, but it eventually got somewhere. Despite the benefits it can have, they are far out weighed depending on who the audiance is. This is something you could only use on a serious audiance, but the age range we will be performing too is anything but serious.

No comments:

Post a Comment